Play It Again (and Again)- An ostinato is a musical figure that keeps on repeating, but in a way that builds excitement instead of boredom.
A Lesson in Princeliness- To introduce our new Modern Band feature, we’re taking a look at how to play Prince’s “Purple Rain.”
Best Music Schools 2017- Here you’ll find bonus content to supplement our Best Music Schools 2017 report, including a list of schools mentioned in the article and extra alumni interviews.
- A Few Words on Endorsement Deals- Sometimes musicians get special privileges from equipment companies.
- Listening List: October 2016- Listen to the podcast and stream all 10 selections from the October 2016 edition of the Listening List.
- The Sounds of October 2016- Listen to Frontrunner Lukas Graham, Icon Miles Davis, cover artist Needtobreathe, and more!
- Icon: Miles Davis- The “man with the horn” changed jazz many times over.
- Donny McCaslin- Already well respected in the jazz world, saxophonist Donny McCaslin found many new fans in 2016 with his playing on David Bowie’s Blackstar.
- Influences: Ruth B. ⇠ Barbra Streisand- Find out who’s lurking in a young Canadian singer/songwriter’s past.
- How Human Hearing Works- For the first installment of How It Works, we explained how our ears work to perceive sound.
- Carter Beauford on Drumming- The Dave Matthews Band’s drummer explores the “pocket” in this vintage video.
- Remembering Bill Graham- He created the live concert business as we know it, and now promoter Bill Graham is the subject of a comprehensive exhibit at the National Museum of American Jewish History in Philadelphia.
- Celebrate the Minimoog!- After 30 years out of production, the groundbreaking Minimoog Model D analog synthesizer is being manufactured again by Moog Music.