The ASCAP EXPO in Los Angeles Brings Music Creators Together for Three Days of Networking, Education and Inspiration.
Have the class read Songwriting’s Olympic Village (page 30 of the student edition). The article jumps into the happenings and opportunities at the annual ASCAP EXPO.
Discuss and Review
- What is the goal of the ASCAP EXPO?
- Why do musicians attend and what are they seeking?
- What might be the advantages of going to the EXPO, especially as a young person?
EXPO Homepage: expo.ascap.com
The ASCAP EXPO Experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yig-IR2kX2Y&list=PLUo1XszOy_JkutOsyVIPaZKc2ORRUEmk3
Q1: What does ASCAP stand for?
- American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers
- American Social Conference for Authors and Publishers
- Association of Star Creators, Artists and Partners
- Alternative Society of Collaboration for Artists and Partners
Q2: Which of these organizations is not of of the for PROs (Performing Rights Organizations)?
- Sound Exchange
Q3: ASCAP attendees usually go to the EXPO with an “every man for himself” attitude and are closed off to collaboration opportunities.
Q4: What events won’t you find at the EXPO?
- One-on-one mentoring sessions with business experts
- Panel sessions with accomplished songwriters
- Collaboration opportunities with labels, other musicians and industry veterans
- A three-hour concert on the last day of the EXPO
Q5: What is “The EXPO Factor”?
- A lecture on what EXPO is like
- A competition where attendees can audition to perform their songs for judges
- An open-mic jam session
Q6: What is ASCAP’s main goal as an organization?
- To collect royalties from radio stations, internet sites and venues where music is played and distribute that money to songwriters and composers, making sure that these artists are paid for their creations
- To sell as many songs as possible by marketing their members through social media
- To spread the word about popular music labels and music producers who are looking to partner with beginner musicians
Q7: You shouldn’t attend EXPO unless you are already an accomplished songwriter
Q8: Where is EXPO located?
- New York, New York
- Los Angeles, California
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Nashville, Tennessee
Q9: There is only one type of mentoring session available at the EXPO
Q10: What happens during the EXPO’s “Center Stage” showcase?
- Some of the world’s top instrument crafters give tips on how to play and care for their instruments
- A singing-oriented lecture for musicians looking for advice on how to perform better
- Famous songwriters discuss and perform their songs for hours on end